Thursday, August 23, 2012

Thrifty Thursday ( Using up blue jeans)

We had a yard sale not to long ago and for some reason I decided to keep out the blue jeans instead of donating them to Goodwill. I finally dug them out yesterday and decided to try to make something with it. My Mother In law gave me her old sewing machine not to long ago so I have been trying to teach myself to do some simple sewing. I decided to make some blue jean bags.

First thing you need to do is cut a piece of blue jean fabric.
Cut a piece of fabric slightly larger than the blue fabric to line your bag.
Sew the fabric so that it is face up on the inside of the blue jean fabric
Sew the bag together leaving the top of the bag open. Trim the edges up

Now you get to decorate your bag. I cut out flower shapes from my scrap blue jean material.
I added some of the fabric I had leftover on the inside of the flower and then added a strap to close the bag. I also put a strip of material across the top to give it some color.


For the handle I just used ribbon and sewed it on really well. I think it turned out cute and I went on to make a ton more bags. You can also just cut the pocket out of the jeans and decorate it also.






If you have any questions let me know. I can honestly say it is a cheap craft to do and if I can sew it I know you can lol. I love the lining on the inside of the bag. I thinks it adds a little something to it.

1 comment:

  1. Did you put velcro or something on the little strap to close it?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete