Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Whatever Wednesday ( OTC meds and RLS)

When I was pregnant with my oldest daughter ( who is now 8) I would have horrible leg pain. I went through some tests and no one could ever figure out what was causing it. They ended up giving me a low dose of pain meds to help me make it through until I delivered her. They did help and I thought that once I gave birth the leg pain would go away. I was wrong. Shortly after she was born the pain came back. It was horrible. I couldn't sleep at night and the pain was something that was hard to explain. I went back in to see my doctor and she decided that she thought I had Restless Leg Syndrome ( RLS) It was still pretty new back then but I had heard of it and my symptoms fit it 100 %. She sent me on to a neurologist who confirmed it. There is no actual test to diagnose it but they listen to your symptoms and usually check your iron levels. I was told that people who have RLS have iron levels that are normal but on the low side of normal. The neurologist put me on a medicine called Requip. It was like a miracle drug. I was on it for many years until the pain came back. I went to a higher dose of the Requip but it made me so sick that I couldn't take it. There was a second medicine out there at that point called Mirapex. I started it and it worked just as well as the Requip and didn't make me sick. Now it is the beginning of the year and we have a deductible to meet before the insurance pays for my medicine. I decided to try a over the counter  medicine I saw at CVS to see if it would help take the edge off. It is made by Hylands and is called Restless Leg.
I was pleasantly surprised that it worked. You take 2-3 tablets and let them dissolve under your tongue. It doesn't take the pain away for me ( I was told that have a severe case of it) but it does help take the edge off. If anyone feels like they may have RLS this would be a good medicine to try!

No comments:

Post a Comment