Thursday, January 9, 2014

type 2 diabetes





Hi Stephanie here,


I know I have not posted a lot this last year, a lot has happened in my life. Mindy has been kind enough to take up the slack for me. On December 23rd 2013 I got the news that I have type 2 diabetes Then on Jan 2nd 2014 Mindy also got the news that she has type 2 diabetes. We are both going to be dealing with learning how to eat and everything else that goes along with this illness. We will both be sharing our stories of dealing with this.  

Here is mine 
I am a 43 year old woman with a family history of diabetes.  I am a little over weight but have been loosing some by cutting out soft drinks most of the time.   On December 17th of 2013 I went to see my Dr. for a medication refill check up.  They decided to do blood work.  Well on the 19th I missed a call from the Dr.'s office.  I returned the call on the 20th.  They said that my test results had show a very high blood sugar reading.  It was then that I realized I had part of a Pepsi before they took my blood.  So I ask if they would do a 3 month test to see what the average was.  They said they could and would call me Monday with the results.  I really did think that everything was going to be okay it was just because I had drank a Pepsi.  Boy was I wrong.  

They called back on Monday with the news that I now have type 2 diabetes and needed to get in to see someone right away.  So I was a nurse Practitioner at noon that same day.  We talked and I discovered that I had lots of  warning signs.  They could just all be accounted for my other things I had going on in my life.  I was getting tired a lot but thought that was just because I was upset because it would be my first Christmas with out Scott.  I had some blurred vision but it was almost time for my eye exam and I thought my eyes were just changing.  In October I was on 2 rounds of antibiotics and got a very bad case of thrush.  Which we thought was caused by the antibiotic but was probably from diabetes. I also lost weight which I was trying to do so not sure but it may have been a sign.  

So 2 days before Christmas I started taking medication for this and trying to change my eating habits.  I admit I was not so good the first week. Also the medication they gave me caused diarrhea.  So had to stop taking it day after Christmas.   Monday the 30th I got to see my Dr. she put me on another medication and we talked about everything.  I have to check my blood sugar first thing in the morning , before lunch, dinner and bed time.  And try to limit my carbs.  I am on a new medication that seems to be helping I went from high 200's to high 100's most of the time on blood sugar test.  Still not where I need to be but better.  We are going to have to work with my medication to see what works and what does not.  They do not believe I will be able to control it with just diet.
I will keep everyone updated on my progress.


Mindy's story

My story is very similar to Stephanie's. My husbands employer had decided they would no longer cover spouses  for insurance as of Dec. 31st. I waited until the last moment to go for a checkup ( Dec 30th) so that I could get my meds filled one last time ( I take meds for Restless Leg Syndrome). I had also not been feeling well with some sinus issues so it was the perfect time to get that checked out also. My appointment was in the afternoon. My doctor checked me out ( I had a sinus infection and a double ear infection YUCK!) and the ordered blood work. She does this every 6 months so that wasn't a surprise. I had to be fasting so I wasn't able to do the blood test until the following day. I went in the next morning and had it done, never thinking that the results would change everything. My doctor was going to be on vacation so I honestly wasn't expecting to hear anything for at least a week. On January 2nd I received a call at 8 a.m. with the results. My blood sugar was high and I was now considered diabetic. They arranged for me to see the Nurse Manager the next day to help me learn how to use the monitor and go over diet instructions. Unfortunately  my liver enzymes came back elevated to and I have to repeat that test in 2 weeks. It has nothing to do with diabetes , just bad luck lol. My sugar level is lower than Stephanie's and I haven't went on meds for it yet. I have started the diet and have been really good about following it. I have even last 5 pounds!

 

If we both have to deal with this , it is awesome that we can do it together. It will be hard but we can do it. We will be tracking our journey along the way and hope that you will come along for the ride. We would love any tips or recipes that you have. We both can have 30-40 carbs per meal and 15 for a snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment