Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Apple Pie Filling

I am still trying to use up all these apples from the other week so I decided to make some apple pie filling. I went ahead and used mine in a pie but I think I will make some more up and freeze it.
 
Apple Pie Filling
5 cups peeled,chopped apples
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups water

                                                        
Instructions
Toss the apples with lemon juice and set aside.
Combine the sugars, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a saucepan. Stir in water. Bring mixture to a boil. Boil 2 minutes stirring constantly.

 
 
Add the apples and bring to a boil again.
 
 Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 10-12 minutes. Cool completely. It will set up as it cools. Makes 4 cups of apple pie filling.
Enjoy!
 

4 comments:

  1. Sounds great. Might try adding a tbs. rum extract and stir to combine just before setting aside to cool. The rum flavor adds some extra flavor to apples, especially if using a mixture of different apples.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, Dutchie here, about how many apples are 5 cups? I have a recipe for a crust, and it calls for about 6 apples in a 9 inch baking pan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just curious to how the rum makes the pie taste? Is it a sweet or savory taste? I'm not a fan of alcohol so I'm hoping you can't actually taste the rum

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have made many of batches and put in freezer. So good any time of year

    ReplyDelete